Saturday, July 13, 2013

the daily 5

I just finished the daily 5, my first summer read so far and it is filled with fascinating, fun filled ideas for Language Arts.  I'm going to post a quick outline if anyone is interested in using it as a point of reference.  The daily 5 builds stamina through building deep muscle during read to self, read to someone, work on writing, listening to reading and word work.  The Anchor Charts are used as a resource created by both the students and the teacher.  The charts build on ideas daily and are used at the beginning of the lesson.  There is a breakdown of information for presentation purposes to the students. 
Work on Writing
For example, the teacher models independence during work on writing.  She models a short narrative story where she doesn't stop to ask the teacher for help with spelling words.  Instead she underlines the words and finishes her story independently. 
Read to Self
During Read to Self the teacher has the students practice reading for three minutes to build stamina.  This is my favorite part of the book. 
Read to Someone
There are really good bookmarks on TpT that have the three ways to read to someone written on them for what I used to call partner reading.
Listen to Reading
The part I found most interesting during this section was the way the teacher models and has the students practice the correct way to clean up.
Word Work
This part of Language Arts is for vocabulary and spelling.  The teacher gives her students plenty of time to play with their supplies before they begin making words.
 I also found the book boxes really cute and creative!  I plan on using this in my classroom next year.  Everything the authors suggest you model is very important for classroom management.  The books a really good outline and is short!  It's definitely a suggested read!


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kirsten, Thanks for following me. I'm following you right back. ;)
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Welcome! Your ideas are really inspiring! Kirsten

    ReplyDelete